Looking through the clear plastic windows in the roof, I could see the stars and everything seemed perfect. As Anna snuggled into me she said. "Michael love is everything alright, you seem to be miles away". "Yes love". I said placing my arm around her neck, I was able to hold her right breast in the palm of my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. "I was just thinking to my self, where were you when I was 18, you could have been a sailors pen pal, then girlfriend and wife, when I think about all we have dipped out on over the years, it makes me want to cry". "I know love". Anna said. "But we have found each other now, and that is all that matters, what we have achieved in 4 months is fantastic. Think about it, we fell for each other on a windswept airport, had a two week holiday on a wonderful little Island in the Med, came home, set up home together, I fell pregnant which was a miracle in its self, we got married and are now man and wife. What normally takes two or three years, took us four months". I squeezed Anna's nipple in between finger and thumb, not hard, just to show her I was listening and understood what she was saying, and it was all true. The love we had for each other was growing and growing on a daily basis. We had set up a so called shopping account that we used for food etc, and the rest of the money was left in the main account, every bill was paid by direct debit and we gave ourselves £500 a week for everything else. Life was very good and we were both happy, we found we could live together, but still do our own thing in the way we wanted. We shared the workload around the flat, but as Anna said. "40 minutes and the flat was spotless, one thing she did do though, was to deport my electric airer to the shed, she demanded I fix her up with a line outside the kitchen window, which I did, and on wash days weather permitting everything went out onto the new line, something to do with fresh air and sunshine. Life was good, in fact, it was better than good.

We had a great weekend in the campervan, even to the extent, we were able to try out the small oven, but most of all we found the simple life so much better. Over the summer months we went off most weekends, we went to Weymouth, Portland, Torquay and Brixham, we went to Portsmouth, Poole and the New Forest, we even took the campervan across to the Isle of Wight, and if it rained, we would go out for day trips, Minehead and Weston Super Mare, but every weekend was fantastic.

As the summer turned to autumn and then to winter, Anna and I prepared to get ready for our trip to Malta again, only this time, Anna was a lot bigger with the twins. I was now her workhorse around the flat, while she rested, I spent the time cleaning, washing, hoovering and cooking, but I did it with love, the love I had for my wife and my new family that was very much on its way.

In November, we had a special delivery, it was Anna's replacement passport. As she opened it, she was confronted by her new photo and the name Anna Palmer, looking at me, she said. "Darling, now I am Mrs Palmer, my new passport tells me so, and this government department never lie". "Darling". I said. "In all honestly, you have been Mrs Palmer since last March". Anna looked at me. "Since". I said. "You wore your wedding ring for our Gozo trip". Anna smiled. "I did, didn't I". "You did". I said. "And if you had had your way that ring would have stayed on your finger until we got married for real, and it would have been well worn". We both sat and giggled, as we did Anna grabbed her tummy. "Please love don't make me laugh, your children are trying to kick there way out of me". I lay my head on Anna's lap and started to speak to our children. "Hay you two, be nice to your mother, she is trying to protect you as best she can, so stop kicking and go to sleep". As I was talking, Anna said. "Michael love, keep going, I think it's working, they have stopped kicking and all is now quiet. I think they heard what you said, darling your a natural, I love you".


Chapter 19 Christmas.


Once again Anna and I were at Bristol Airport, only this time we were together, in the departure lounge we were sat together holding hands waiting for the flight to be called, again it was very cold outside, with a biting wind coming across the whole area, but this time, Anna was ready for it, she was wearing trousers and a fleece jacket with a hood, and in her inflight bag Anna had put a skirt, so that once on the aircraft, she could change if needs be.

The flight was called, and with the other passenger's Anna and I walked to the aircraft, the wind was really strong, and even holding hand, it felt difficult, but we made it to the steps and boarded the aircraft. We found our seats at the rear and sat down, I fastened my own seatbelt and then tried to sort Anna out, but with the twins, in the way I realised I was going to have trouble, I pressed the button for the stewardess and as soon as she got to us she smiled and made her way to the rear of the aircraft and came back with an extending piece that fitted to the seatbelt. Showing Anna and myself how it worked she advised putting the strap under the baby, and advised me, during take off and landing, I place my own arm across Annas body to protect her. "Just a little extra safety". she said.

The flight out was very smooth, once in the air, Anna changed into the skirt, which under her smock looked very fetching, as she sat down in her seat again, I said."Hi there sexy knees". "Stop it". Anna said. "The bank is closed until we get to the hotel". "But you told me". I started to say, but Anna stopped me. "Michael, I love you deeply, you are my husband and as such, this body is yours, but please, not at 30,000 feet, even trying to join the mile high club wouldn't work with this extra baggage". she pointed to her tummy. I laughed. "Your right". I said. "let's check the vault in our hotel room".

We arrived in Malta a little ahead of schedule , but with the doors now open and the winter sun entering the cabin, it felt good to be back. The coach that took us to the hotel was almost full and when we got to the hotel, ten couples got off the coach including ourselves. We joined the line for the reception desk and as we slowly moved forward we felt like we were home again, we were at the back of the line, but even that didn't matter. As we got to the desk and handed over our passports the girl on the desk looked at me. "Mr Palmer and Mrs Ba, sorry, sorry Mrs Palmer, how nice to see you again". As we were signing in I heard another voice I recognised. "Mr Palmer". he shook my hand, then holding Anna's hand in his own he said, "Ans Mrs Palmer, how nice to see you again, I have put you in your old room, 301, the connecting door is locked and the key in my safe". "Great". I said. "Now, down to business, any chance of an extra week on a bed breakfast and evening meal basis, and we will need transport, any chance being as it is Christmas and the Island is full of visitors". "No worries Mr Palmer, you leave everything to me, though the car will have to be on a cash basis, with the usual deposit, if that's ok". "No problem". I said. "I will go to the bank in the morning and draw out what we need for the holiday, plus a little bit extra for the car, we will need it for say ten days".

In our room, I opened the curtains and the door to the balcony, as I stood looking out over the creek I was joined by my darling wife. "What are you thinking". she asked, I pointed to the old boathouse. "We made love down there twice, no chance of doing that this time". I put my hand on Anna's tummy. "Don't say that sweetheart, miracles do happen you know, think about it". she placed her hand over mine. "That was a miracle we thought would never happen, but it did, so let's see what happens over the next two weeks".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Canoe, A Love Story