Chapter 18


When Mike woke up, Nann was already dressed and ready for work. "Hello sleepyhead," she said. "Cup of tea for you," Mike asked her the time and was told it was just after six. "Don't hurry love," Nann said. "Mummy will fix you some breakfast after you have had a shower." she leaned over the bed and kissed him. Leaving the bedroom, she said at the door. "See you at one, in the usual place."

Mike went into the bathroom had a shower and a shave, then after getting dressed went into the lounge. Grace was in the kitchen, and when she saw Mike, she asked him if he would like eggs and bacon. Mike said."Only if I am not causing you any trouble." "Sit down," Grace said. "It will be ready in a jiffy." Mike was a little worried being in the flat with just Grace, he was thinking what she had said, the night before, and to be honest, Grace was a good looking woman, in fact, she was a slightly older version of Nann. When Grace bought in Mike's breakfast, she sat at the table opposite him with her cup of tea. "Do I bother you, Michael," Grace asked? "I hope I don't because I don't mean to, and what I said last night, was only to make that silly daughter of mine see sense. You are a nice lad, Michael, but let's face it, you are a little young for me, plus the fact, I love my husband and my daughter and  would not or could not betray there trust." Mike smiled at her, he felt a lot better and ate his breakfast. Grace and Mike talked about loads of things, but the one subject that kept coming to the fore of there conversation was marriage. It seemed that Nann had had a long talk with her mum about her and Mike getting married before the Taylors left to go back to the U.K. and Grace wanted Mike's honest opinion on the subject.

Mike explained, that if they were permitted to marry by both sets of parents, then of coarse Maureen would be looked after, and treated as a wife should, they loved each other and wanted to be together. Then Mike told Grace, that once married, Maureen was hoping to fall pregnant, so that when they did get home and he joined his next ship, if he was away for any length of time, she would have a baby to care for, which would keep her occupied for the duration of any trips he went on. "So," said Grace. "She's not as daft as I thought she was. Thank you for telling me that Michael, my daughter bless her is copying her dear mother." "What do you mean," Mike asked. "I mean," Grace said. "That's what her father and I did, more or less, we got married young, I was just over 17, and within months of our wedding, Roger was told he would be joining a new ship. He was away for almost two years when he returned, I had had Maureen, I fell pregnant on our honeymoon, and when Roger shipped out I was with child as they say, but I didn't know, then nine months later Maureen popped out, I was over the moon, it kept me from straying from the straight and narrow, and gave me something to do every day." Grace laughed. "So," she said. "Madam is planning the same thing." "Not quite, "Mike said. "Don't forget, I will be close by, our ship is stationed in Malta, and will only be going to sea for short periods, I mean," Mike said. "We are off at the end of August, for a month, then it's back in for a while, then out maybe for the odd day, sort of 8 till 4.  What I can see of our future program, it's four weeks in August, a week in January, then six weeks in June and July. And." Mike said. "If we did get married, and she fell pregnant, by the time we were due to come home, any baby we had would be 10 months old when we left Malta." Grace looked at Mike. "Do you really think you could look after Maureen as husband and wife," she asked. "Yes, I do, Maureen can do almost anything, she can cook, the can clean, she can wash and iron, what more is there, what we don't know, we can ask, and if we do have any major problems, we have our parents. Even if you are in England, your only a letter away." Grace stood up to take Mike's plate, but instead, she put her arms around his neck and kissed his cheek. "What was that for," Mike asked. " That is for being so switched on, Maureen is very lucky to have a fellow like you. " Grace and Mike sat talking for most of the morning, then Mike got up from the table and told Grace that he had to go, he was planning to meet Maureen in Valletta.  "Michael," Grace asked. "Why do you call my daughter Nann." Mike looked at her and smiled. "Well," he said. "Most people call me Mike, four letters when Maureen and I first met, she told me her name was Maureen Ann, I told her that that was too long to say, or remember, so I shortened it to Nann, the last N of Maureen, and the ANN, so you have Nann." Grace looked at Mike, then her face beamed. "Oh, I get it now, N and Ann, Nann. Well, between you and I, we call our daughter Maureen, but we have noticed that when we have heard you call her Nann, a shiver runs down her back, and her arms go all goosebumps, so she must like it. Right, you get off, I have to meet up with that horrible Mrs Morton, another hour of ear bashing." Mike made to leave, then coming back into the room, he went up to Grace and kissed her on the cheek, her face went bright red. "What was that for," she asked, Mike smiled. "For being a good mother, and I hope an even better mother in law." "Get out of here," Grace said giggling. "Go and meet your Nann.

In Valletta Mike and Nann were having a spot of lunch, as always, it was hot and the sky was blue and there was very little breeze. As they drank the iced coffee and ate there mince and macaroni they talked. "Nann," Mike said. "I think both your parents will let us tie the knot before your supposed to go back to England." "Oh darling, that's wonderful, but how do you know this," Mike told her about the conversation he and her mother had had over breakfast. "I think," Mike said. Your mother is preparing your father, and I think that letters are being past between our parents as we speak." "So darling."Nann said, " We go for a date." Mike thought about it for a moment. "You are supposed to go back to England just after Christmas, correct." "That's right, around about the 27th or 28th I believe," Nann said. "Right," Mike said. "If we have the wedding,  the first or second week in December, then we could still have Christmas as a family, and then give the folks a good send off afterwards." Nann leaned over the table and kissed him. "Now I knew what drew me to you." "What, "Mike asked. "Well," she said. "Your so practical, and," she whispered in his ear. "You know how to love me the way I liked to be loved."

Mike looked at his watch, it was after three. "Sorry love, I have to get back to my ship. I also have some kit to wash out." "Michael," Nann said. "I want you to bring your dirty laundry home to me, it's my job to see that my man looks smart, and if that means doing his washing, then I will do his washing, I will also do your ironing as well. When you go back to your ship, you will always look clean and presentable, and I can feel proud, that I am taking care of the man I love and want as my husband. So my love, no more washing your clothes on board. Ok." Mike looked at Nann, he felt proud and happy that she was his girl, and deep down, he knew that she would make a fantastic wife. On the bus, Nann said that she would have a quiet word with her mum when she got home, but Mike advised her not to push too hard, or they might go off the idea. "Don't worry darling."Nann said, "I think I can handle mummy and daddy, but I promise I will be gentle with them both." Mike gave Nann a kiss. At Msida Nann got off the bus, Mike was staying on and would get off at Manoel Island. At Nann's stop as the bus came to the bus stop Nann stood up, then leaning down she kissed Mike then as she walked to the door she called back."See you in the usual place tomorrow." Getting off the bus, she stood and watched as it headed out of Msida, as it moved away from the stop, Nann waved and blew Mike a kiss, Mike did the same.

Comments

Martin P said…
To continue to next chapter click on The Old Sea Dog at top of page, then scroll to the bottom and click on More Posts, repeat until you reach November 28

Popular posts from this blog

The Canoe, A Love Story