Chapter 14

Over the summer months, the new campsite did very well, what with campervans coming from Italy and other parts of Europe, things were looking very good, a lot of people did come out from England, but for them, it was mainly tenting holidays, or staying in the 6 caravans on the site, but all agreed, they had a good holiday and would come back the following year. By December the campsite was all but empty, and it gave the staff time to do a little maintenance to some of the areas that needed it, both Stuart and Hannah told Michael that after Christmas they would be going to England, they were not going by air, they were going back by ship, it was a ten day cruise and they would be landing at Plymouth, they planned to stay in England until the end of February, then fly back to Malta ready to start the next three years bringing the site to the highest standard they could, with help of the team they had.

Over Christmas, they only had the 6 caravans being used, plus 4 tents, but Stuart and Michael agreed that they would have a big party in the clubhouse, Michael had found a local guy who could play the electric keyboard so he agreed to play for them on Christmas night so that the holidaymakers could have a dance. Christmas dinner would be laid on at 1 pm for everyone including the staff, then in the evening a cold buffet would be laid on for those that wanted it, the staff again were invited to join the holidaymakers at the dance, as both Stuart and Michael felt they had done a fantastic job and deserved to be allowed to let there hair down a little. The Christmas party went on until well after midnight, but everyone had a great time, and most of the holidaymakers told Stuart that they would like to rebook for the next year, as for them, Christmas holidays on a campsite like this, was far better than a summer holiday, so Stuart advised them to book there holiday at the reception desk as soon as possible so that they would not be disappointed.

On the 28th December, Michael took Stuart and Hannah with there luggage to the docks in Valletta where they were to board their ship to England, Stuart was more than happy to leave everything in the hands of Michael, he was very competent and understood how Stuart worked, between then they had a very good team working on the campsite, and they both felt that change was not needed at this moment in time, but Stuart did say, that if there were any problems, then Michael must give Stuart a ring. "As soon as we get to England and I know where we are staying, I will give you a ring and tell you our number, ok". "Ok boss". Michael said.

The cruise back to England was very good, going through the Med was smooth, almost like being on a boating lake, they sailed into the Atlantic then up into the Bay of Biscay, that's when they hit the storm, it was very bad, but only lasted for a couple of days, during which time Hannah stayed in the cabin and Stuart bought meals to her, but all she really wanted to do was sleep and drink a little, their child was now giving Hannah sleepless nights, it seemed to be kicking her all the time as if to say, get me out of here. The ship docked at Plymouth and Stuart and Hannah were greeted by Brenda, the boss it seemed was away in London on business, something to do with a new campsite, but she didn't know where.

"Right". Brenda said. "I am taking you to our campsite at Dawlish, we have set up a brand new caravan for you, to live in whilst you are both in England, and Hannah I have fixed you up with my doctor, who will be looking after you until the baby is born". "Thank you Brenda". Hannah said. "That's quite alright, as I told you in Malta, Stuart is my foster son, and when he married you, I knew that he was doing the right thing, so I now look on you as my foster daughter, I hope you will come to me if you have any problems". she giggled. "And if Stuart gives you any grief, then I will clip his ear". "That's ok Brenda, if Stuart needs a clip round the ear, I think I can do it". they both laughed.

At the new caravan, Brenda made then a cup of tea, sat at the table Brenda said."Stuart, I have some sad news for you, both your real mother and father passed away just after Christmas, your father had a fall at home, and hit his head, he died instantly, so I am happy to say felt no pain. however your mother was so distraught, couldn't live without him, she took an overdose, they found her body in the family home 6 days later, seems that they had no friends, and when you were sent to work for us, the neighbours were so disgusted with them, they refused to talk to your parents any more, so they were basically alone. Anyway, the solicitor appointed to sort everything out found a letter from my husband regarding your employment, he contacted me and we spoke on the phone for some time. Anyway, to cut a long story short, you are the only living relative, so everything comes to you if you want the house, it's yours to live in, or you can sale it, it's worth about £300,000, can I suggest son, you sale the house and put the money into an account in England, as you plan to do the next three years in Malta, that money will grow and grow. When you both come back to England to live here for hopefully the rest of your lives, you will have the money to buy a very nice house that you can both call home. Also, there is a load of money as well, some £30,000". she opened her handbag and produces a cheque and handed it to Stuart. "Looks like you have really fallen on your feet". "I never really knew my mother and father". Stuart said. "My father thought I was a complete fool, and my mother, I think believed what he said, I was never loved by them, in fact when I look back I can never remember my mother giving me a cuddle or saying she loved me, the only person who ever cuddled me". he looked at Hannah."Apart from you, was Brenda, she even called me son and said she loved me, I was the son she could never have, so she more or less adopted me, and I now look on her as my mother, so do I take this money and the house, or do I turn my back on it". "You take it". Brenda said. "This is yours, both your mother and father treated you very badly up until you left school at 15 when you came to us, you were in a terrible state, and over the first three years we not only worked with you, we trained you". she looked at Hannah. Tell me, Hannah, when you came over here to learn about this business, what did you see in this man, I'll tell you, he was as green as grass when it came to women, yes he had the gift of the gab when it came to talking about the campsite and all it had to offer, but talking to the opposite sex, he didn't have a clue. When he went back to Malta with you, this guy, this wonderful guy was a virgin, and I bet it took all your skill to get him into bed".

"Well to be honest with you Brenda, we were both virgins, but your right it did take time, but once we had slept together, and we found out that we were like the two parts of a jigsaw and fitted perfectly". she rubbed her tummy. "Well this is the result, I do agree that Stuart should take the money, it is his birthright and he is entitled to it. and I also think as you are the only mother who really loved Stuart, I think you should adopt him if he is willing to have you as his mother".

On February 4th Hannah went into hospital and gave birth to a beautiful baby girl when Stuart saw this little angel laid on her mother's breast taking its first drink of mothers milk. "Hannah love have you thought of a name for our daughter yet because I have been trying to sort out one in my head, I have come up with the usuals, but nothing very special". Hannah looked at her husband. "Stuart my love, she is our little princess, let's call her Sarah, that name means exactly that, princess". Stuart looked at his new daughter and smiled."I love it". as they were talking, Brenda came into the ward, Stuart picked up the baby and handed it to Brenda. "Here you go foster mom, meet your new granddaughter Sarah". Brenda held Sarah in her arms the tears rolling down her face, then handing her back to Hannah she said. "I have some good news for you". she handed Stuart a couple of forms to fill in. "Son, if you fill in these forms, you can call me mother for real". Stuart filled in the forms and handed them back to Brenda, she gave him a hug and said. "You can both call me mother from now on, and I promise to love you as a mother should". she then kissed Hannah on the cheek and Stuart as well. "Mother, that feels good, tell me, whats my father's name". Brenda smiled, then burst out laughing. "The man you call the boss, his real name is Burt, but he hates it, that is why he has always told everyone he must be called the boss, or just boss, we met at school, and like you, he was the class dunce, but he had the gift of money and talking, and once he had left school, by the time he was 18 he was running his own campsite and making money. We met up here at Dawlish I was walking through the park and we recognised each other, well, we fell in love, fell into bed with each other, I fell pregnant and we got married, I lost the baby at 7 months and was told I couldn't have children, but Burt and I were now sorting out our second campsite, so we forgot the child problem, then whilst working on the third site you came into our lives and we both realised, we now had all the family we needed, so we taught you the business and now, you are not only part of our team, but now part of the family".

Stuart Hannah and Sarah stayed on in England until the middle of February, then headed back to Malta, and with Michael waiting for them at Luqa Airport they made there way back to the campsite. Nothing had changed really, Michael's wife had said she was finding it too difficult to carry on in the kitchen, so Michael had put his young sister in charge, but as she had worked with his wife for almost a year, he felt confident that she would be perfect for the job, a new girl was bought in to make up the full kitchen staff so that when Stuart and Hannah did their rounds, everything was going well. 

As February ended and March started, and the warmer weather, Stuart was informed that people wanted to come to the site, and by the May bank holiday, the campsite was almost full, again most of the tent sites were full, the 6 caravans were full, and the campervans were coming in at two or three every day, it was looking as if his new father had the knowhow to provide what was needed in campsites, and he had learned from him, and with his beautiful wife's help, things were really working out, Michael was happy, the team were happy, and as Michael said at a there weekly meeting. "Boss, we have so many people now looking to work here, we have a waiting list of over a hundred". Life was good, and every night after Sarah had been put to bed with a little music, Stuart and Hannah would go to there own bed and after making love would sleep soundly, because all was well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Canoe, A Love Story