Chapter 2

Over the next 8 weeks, Stuart did his best to teach Hannah all that he knew, the paperwork side of the job was very easy, a family book a 7 or 14 day holiday, they send a deposit and their name is added to the list of people coming to the site, then when they arrive on site, the rest of the money must be paid, they are then given a pitch, a map of the site and all the information they need to enjoy a fantastic holiday. Hannah soon got that sorted, but seemed to have the problem of meeting and talking to the holidaymakers, she seemed very shy, and could not push herself forward, yes she had the smile and the twinkle in her eyes, but it was the actual opening up with the conversation she had problems with, Stuart was very outgoing, and had the ability to talk to anyone, even the children, and when he did that, it was as if the whole family he was talking to seemed to relax and open up, and by doing this, they, it seemed enjoyed there holidays more, and came back year after year. 

After work every night, Stuart would invite Hannah to his caravan and try to help her get over her fear of talking to the holidaymakers, but, the following day, Hannah would smile and nod, but it was Stuart doing all the talking, it was in the third week that Stuart rang the boss and told him the situation, but all the boss said was. "Stuart son, you have what it takes to talk to people, don't worry about Hannah, she will learn with you to teach her and with you alongside her, it will soon rub off". "Yes, boss". Stuart said, but we only have a few weeks before we fly out to Malta". "No son, you have 3 years, and in that time I am confident that it will all work out, so do me a favour, just take one step at a time with the girl, it will work out, I promise you". From that phone call, Stuart did nothing to force Hannah to open up to the holidaymakers, he did all the talking, introducing Hannah as his second in command, which she, as she told him one evening she loved.

It was the weekend, and Stuart asked Hannah if she would like to go to the dance at the clubhouse. "I thought we were not allowed to use the facilities ourselves". she said. "No Hannah, the staff are not permitted to use the facilities, I am the manager, and you are my second in command, we have a duty to make sure that the clubhouse is running smoothly, so we need to check it out, I will knock on your caravan door at 8pm, and do me a small favour, no jeans or trousers. When Stuart went to pick up Hannah she looked beautiful, she was wearing a dress in pale green, with yellow piping at the neck, the sleeves and the hem, for a short while Stuart just stood looking, again his mouth was open and again, it was Hannah who stood in front of him and with gentle fingers closed his mouth, as she stepped out of the van and took his arm for the short walk to the clubhouse she said. Stuart, you have the ability to talk to everyone on the site, mums, dads and the children, you can talk to me about the job and everything to do with the campsite, but when it comes to talking to me as a person, a woman, you clam up, why". Hannah and Stuart had a meal in the clubhouse, just as they said to check everything was on top line, then they went into the dance area, this part of the clubhouse was Stuart's pride and joy, it was a room some 50 feet long and 25 feet wide, along three of the walls were tables and chairs set up with a space between each, on each table was a bottle with a candle in each that gave a feeling of romance, at the top end was a small stage where the band was sat playing the sort of music that mums and dads loved and could dance to all night if they so wished. In the middle of the ceiling of the dance floor was hung a large glass ball that slowly rotated, and even though there were four spotlights pointing at it, the lights from the candles seemed to do more, romance wise than anything and that is what the holidaymakers seemed to love. Hannah and Stuart sat at one of the tables with a drink each and watched the mums and dads dancing, then Stuart stood up and taking Hannah by the hand lead her on to the dancefloor, the music being played was slow, so Stuart took Hannah into his arms and danced her around the room, as she made herself comfortable in his arms, she again wanted to know why it was he could talk to the people on the campsite about almost anything, but could only talk to her about the job. Stuart pulled slightly away from Hannah and looked at her in the romantic gloom of the dancefloor. "Hannah, I have worked with you now, for almost 6 weeks, and you and I have tried to keep things on a sort of work basis, but I admit, I find you very attractive, you feel good when I hold you like I am now, but I have no wish to push you into something that, well, that could come to nothing, I am British, and you are Maltese, we are worlds apart". Hannah stopped dancing, she looked at Stuart. "I have never heard so much, how you say garbage in all my life, so you find me attractive, you like the way I feel in your arms, and yet you have decided to keep everything on a work basis". Hannah stepped back into Stuart's arms and kissed him on the mouth, her arms going around his neck, as she again stepped away from him she said. Stuart, I may be from a different world from yours, but we both speak the same, I can speak English as well as you can, and I want you to know, I think you are a great guy, and not as my manager, but as a person". she then turned and walked out of the clubhouse leaving Stuart to wonder what had just happened. 

Stuart caught Hannah up just as she was about to unlock her caravan, she made to open the door and Stuart grabbed her arm, she had tears in her eyes, all the way back she had been crying, Stuart put his arm around Hannah's waist and she knew what she wanted, she stepped back into his arms and they kissed, they kissed long and hard, but it felt good to Stuart, apart from Brenda kissing him on the cheek when it was his birthday, Stuart had never been kissed, not like this anyway, in fact, he had never held a girl like he was holding Hannah, so that was two firsts for him in one night. As they broke the kiss Hannah said. "Stuart, would you like to come into my van, we can maybe have a coffee". but Stuart pulled back. "Look Hannah". he said, I have never lied to anyone, and I won't lie to you, I am 25, I have worked at this campsite since I was 15 leaving school, and was taught everything I know by my boss and his wife who were like a second mum and dad to me, and as for the female side of life, holding you on the dancefloor and that kiss just now are a first for me, a very nice first". Hannah kissed him again. Stuart, are you telling me, that as an English guy, you have never been with a woman, you're telling me, that you have never slept with a woman". Stuart shook his head. "Never, I do my job which as you now know, I love, I never get involved with the holidaymakers, so no, sorry that has never happened, you never cross that line". Hannah had a smile on her face, It was beginning to dawn on her, she was falling for Stuart and he was blind to the fact that he had no idea what love was, yes he loved his job, he loved the regulars who came back to the campsite every year, but as regards the love of a woman, that was way over his head. Hannah opened the door of her van, gave Stuart one last kiss and said goodnight.

Laid in there beds that night, Stuart wondered what had just happened, as he and Hannah were kissing he was getting this very nice feeling inside his stomach, he also had the feeling that he needed to use the loo, but once in bed, he lost that feeling, as he closed his eyes and fell asleep he wanted to kiss Hannah again very much. Hannah climbed into her own bed with her head going round in circles, She was falling in love with her boss, and she wondered, can I take this to the next step, he held me in his arms which was fantastic and I loved it, but then he comes out with some stupid remark, but he also chased me back to my van, and when he does catch me we kiss and that was beautiful, but then he tells me I am the first woman he has been with, which is sort of scary, I did have a boyfriend of sorts back in Malta, but apart from a kiss we did nothing, so that means, if we did sleep together, it would be a case of experimentation to see if it would work out, and if it does, what do we do. As she closed her eyes she could see in her mind's eye Stuart and herself trying to make love and the pair of them laughing like a couple of school kids.

The following morning in the van they were talking to a family of new arrivals, as Stuart spoke to the family of four through the window of the van, Hannah was leaned over as well her fingers resting on Stuart's shoulder, with the conversation over Stuart made to sit upright again and as he did so Hannah kissed his cheek. "Can I just say boss, You are wonderful and". she kissed him again. "I think I am falling in love with you, and I cannot wait until we fly to Malta, we are going to have a great time. And yes, I do realise we have a job to do, but in Malta, the work stops at 4pm and from then on, the time is ours, in summer it's a little different, work stops at midday for about 4 hours, then carries on until 8, but you will soon get the hang of it, I promise you.

During the last two weeks on the campsite both Hannah and Stuart packed and made ready for there flight to Malta, Stuart made sure that everything was up to date, and that the rest of the staff were up to speed and ready to carry on, then on the Tuesday Brenda picked up both Hannah and Stuart in the car and took them to Exeter Airport. As Brenda said goodbye to the two of them, she held Stuart in her arms and kissed his cheek. "Stuart son, look after yourself, as I said before, you were the son I never had, and as your sort of stepmother I feel that what we had together was very good, I had planned to give you something very special on your 18th birthday, but I feel, seeing how you and Hannah are getting along, she can give you that present when she is ready". as Brenda gave Stuart one final kiss on the cheek she thrust an envelope into his hand. "Have a good time, see you when you get back in three years

On the Air Malta flight, Hannah and Stuart were sat near the rear of the aircraft, the aircraft was not full up, in fact, where they were sat, there were a couple two rows in front and one old man sat on the other side in the very back seat. With there, seatbelts fastened and both sat back in there seats they soon found themselves, with engines at full throttle hurtling down the runway, once in the air at 30,000 feet heading across the water towards France, they were able to enjoy the flight. Stuart took the envelope that Brenda had given him from his inside jacket pocket and with Hannah looking on opened it, inside was a note, Hope this will help you settle in, love mum. Pulling out the wad of money that was in the envelope Stuart counted £2000 in Maltese currency, looking at Hannah he said. Well, it looked like this will keep us going until I get my first pay packet, so let's see how we get on with this new venture". Hannah put her arm through his and held his hand. "I think Stuart love, can I call you love, This new venture will go very well, not only for the new campsite but for you and I as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Canoe, A Love Story