Chapter 14 Monday


Again I woke up alone, I could hear Anna singing to herself in the bathroom, a short while later she walked past the bed with some more washing she had done, she took it to the balcony and hung it on the small line. Coming back into the room Anna stood at the side of the bed. "Michael love, are you awake". I opened my eyes and looked at her, a smile on my face. "Why aren't you laid alongside me". I asked. "Because my sweet, you were sound asleep and I wanted to keep the washing up to date, by the way, you did say your flat had all mod cons, does that include a washing machine". I moved like a whippet grabbing her around the waist, I literally picked Anna up and lay her on the bed under me, with her hands held almost touching the headboard she was unable to move. "Sorry love". she said. "I'm sorry, I did not mean to say the wrong thing". she tried to move, but as she did, I used all my weight to stop her. "Please my darling, please let me up". I kissed her and she realised what I was doing was nothing more than a game, I had no intension of hurting her in any way, but Anna now wanted to play the game out to its final conclusion. It was, as Anna was trying to struggle underneath me that she realised I was getting excited. "Michael". she said very sternly. "The bank is closed". I saw the look on her face, the twinkle in her eyes. "It is". I said. "Well in that case I might as well have a wash and shave". I then climbed out of bed and headed for the bathroom. As I stood at the sink, two arms clasped themself around my waist. "Michael, I didn't mean it, I told you, your private bank is always open, please love, come back to bed, make that deposit". I turned in Anna's embrace and kissed her. "Its ok love". I said. "We were having a bit of fun, I know how you feel about me, and what you said on the bed was done in fun as were the things I did. But because we love each other so deeply, we don't need to keep making love to prove it, a kiss, a love tap, even saying darling or sweetheart are ways to show how we feel". I grabbed the bottom of her nightdress and pulled it down over her bottom, I then saw that Anna had put on a pair of panties before putting the washing out, so me being me I gave both the left and right cheek a tap, one after the other, Anna looked at me, that twinkle still in her eyes. "I love you, Michael, very much".

In the dining room, we enjoyed scrambled eggs on toast, with the usual toast and marmalade to follow. "Well love". Anna said. "What are the plans for today". "Not a lot I'm afraid, the car goes back this morning at 10-30, so it will be a case of public transport, I thought we could go into Valletta this morning, then like we did the first day we were here, we could then take the ferry across to Sliema and have tea at Tonys bar". "Great". Anna said. "Well, in that case, love, I need some extra cash, there's something I saw in a shop in Sliema that I would like to buy".

We finished breakfast and headed back to our room, I opened the safe and Anna grabbed a handful of notes and put them into her handbag. "Ok". I asked. "Thank you, my love". Anna said and gave me a kiss. It was 10-25 so we both headed for the car, I did a thorough check of the car and found no scratches or dents, so was very happy. 10-30 came and went, 10-35 came and went. "Where is this guy". Anna asked, "Sorry love, time in Malta is meaningless, an appointment time of 10-30 to these people can mean anything between 10-30 and 12-30". At 10-45, this suited man turned up. "Mr Palmer, sorry for the delay, something cropped up at the last minute". I looked into his eyes and realised he was lying through his back teeth, Anna had also heard what the man had said, she put on her angry face and was stomping her feet to show how she felt. I just said, "It's a good thing Maltese buses don't have a set timetable like we have back in the U.K. because if we miss the 10-45 my wife bless her is going to give you a real hard time". The man looked at me, then at Anna. "I am sorry, well if your happy, then so am I". he handed me a small brown envelope and I handed him the car keys. Anna and I headed for the bus stop and as we stood waiting, the man passed us with the car, he did smile and wave at us, but all we did was nod our heads in his direction as he passed. On the bus I opened the envelope, inside was the £250 deposit I had paid for the hire car, it was in Maltese notes. "Michael love, can I take that money and give you back the English, save me going to the bank again". I checked what I had in Maltese money, it came to £250, then asking Anna what she had, she showed me £50. "What money did you take from the safe". Anna opened her handbag and gave me the notes she had taken, I counted £1100 in English notes. "Do you need that amount love"? I asked. "Not really, it's just you said grab some money and that's what I did". she giggled. "With the money, I do have, plus that £250, I think that will be enough". I handed Anna the £250, plus taking an extra £50 from my wallet I gave her that as well, I then placed the £1100 into my wallet. 

Getting off the bus we walked hand in hand down the main street, as we got almost to Victoria square, Anna stopped. "Michael love, why don't you carry on and order coffee, I need to do something". In the square sat at one of the tables I ordered coffee and cheesecakes for the two of us when the food and drink arrived, Anna hadn't, so I put the saucer over her cup to keep it hot and wrapped her cheesecake in a napkin. I went to eat my cheesecake, it was then that I felt this hand on my shoulder, Looking up into Anna's face I said. "I thought you had left me, I was just about to eat that second cheesecake". "never happen". Anna said as she grabbed for her cheesecake, taking a bite. "Mmmm still warm". sitting down next to me she removed the saucer from her cup and drank. "Boy, that's good, I needed that". With Anna sat beside me, she put a carrier on the table and then from her handbag took out some money and handed it to me. "What's this". I asked. "Its what's leftover from the money you gave me, £150, I saw what I wanted to buy here in Valletta, I did have to haggle a little, but I think I got a good deal". "And what about Sliema". I said. "You may find something you want there as well". "Well if I do love I know I can count on you to give me a little extra". she leaned over and kissed me.

We left Valletta for the last time, and like on the first day, headed towards the small ferry that would take us across the water. getting to the landing stage and looking across the water towards Sliema I could see nothing, It was then that Anna said. "Michael love, try these". she handed me the smartest pair of binoculars I had ever seen, I fixed the focus and with there help looked across the water, I could see Sliema as clear as day, people walking around, buses, trucks and cars. Then Anna said. "Michael love, if you slide that lever to the right, it should bring everything even closer". she pointed to the lever in question, and I slowly moved the lever to the right, I was gobsmacked, I had watched the ferry leave Sliema, now with the lever hard over to the right, the ferry was in my full field of vision, I could see the wheelhouse and some of the passengers. I took the binoculars away from my eyes, then put my arm around Anna's neck and kissed her. "Thank you my darling, these are fantastic, and just what I have always wanted. In the navy, we had good binoculars, but these with the zoom are much better, almost as good as my old 275 gun sight, and that back in the 60s and 70s was the best there was, but these come very close".

The ferry was now alongside, so I paid for our tickets and we climbed on board. Twenty minutes later we were in Sliema, Anna wanted to nip into M & S, she bought a zip up woollen jumper for the trip back to England, Like she said. "If its cold, I zip it up, if it's warm, the zip stays undone".

We ended up in Tonys bar again for the last time, and we had the tea and biscuits and sat enjoying all that was going on around us, holding hands on the table we both felt very good. I looked at my watch, it was 16-30. "Come on love". I said. Time to make a move, we have to get back, pack our suitcases and get ready for our last dinner ". We were both reluctant to leave but we knew we must, on the half empty bus we found a seat and sat down, the run to Peita seemed faster today, no sooner had we stepped foot on the bus, it was time to get off.

In the hotel, we made our way to the reception desk, picked up our key and arranged a telephone wake up call for 04-30, we knew that breakfast would be at 6 and we were being picked up at 8 for our 10-30 flight back to England. In our room we had a shower, then wrapped in our towels we sat together on the balcony slowly drying off. "Anna my sweet, where are those binoculars". Anna got out of her seat and went into the room, she was back in seconds with the binoculars, she handed them to me and I sat looking up the creek. As Anna sat back in her seat, with her towel still around her, she sat back and crossed her legs, with the binoculars still up to my eyes I looked at her through them,  she realised what I was trying to do, so she cheekily uncrossed her legs, but like I said afterwards. Darling, if you had been on Manoel Island and done what you just did, I would have seen the promised land and beyond, but sat this close, it's just a blur, but a rather beautiful blur". Putting the binoculars on the table I said to Anna. I think we need to get shot of the box, I can say we bought these at the market if we get stopped by the customs at Bristol". "Ok love". Anna said, then again getting up she went to the bed and ripped up the box putting it into the rubbish bin in the bathroom. I walked back into the room and placed the binoculars onto the bed, then walking over to Anna, I held her in my arms and kissed her. Darling thank you for my fantastic gift, I love it, your wonderful". As I was holding her and talking, I was quietly and slowly removing the towel from her body, as it dropped to the floor, with my own Anna whispered. "Michael, why am I suddenly feeling naked, are you planning a little extra". I held her very close to me, and I knew that if I had asked, she would have said yes, and I knew that if she had said yes, I would have filled the bank tenfold, I was feeling ready, but I pulled away and kissed the end of her nose. "Its time to get dressed for dinner love, we have 24 hours before we get back to the flat, so let's hang fire on the sexual side of our relationship when I have you settled into the flat, then I will fill the bank vault, the bank lobby and the manager's office, I promise you, but for now, let's get dressed for dinner.

In the dining room, there were only 4 of us, the married couples who came out with us on the aircraft and ourselves, Anna and I had a half bottle of the rosa with our dinner, then halfway through, the manager came to our table. "Mr Palmer, the envelope in the hotel safe, can I bring it to you here, now, we would not like you to forget that". 10 minutes later he was back, in his hand he had two envelopes, one small and the A4, as he made to leave, he shook us both by the hand saying how nice it was to meet us both, and he hoped to see us in the not too distant future, he then left us to finish our dinner.

As we made to leave the dining area for the last time, I asked Henry if he could do us one last favour, could he arrange for a pint and a half pint of San Mig be brought to our room as we would be very busy packing, and would not have time to visit the bar.

As we got to our room, Henry was right behind us, as we all walked in, Henry went out onto the balcony and put the two drinks on the table. "Thank you Henry". we both said, shaking his hand, then I put a £20 note in his top pocket, again he tried to stop me. "Henry, your married, right". "Yes sir, and as I said before, happily". "And tell me, do you have children". Henry smiled. "I do sir, a boy of 5 and my little Maria aged 2". "Good". I said. "When you go home tonight, stop off and buy them something in the sweet line, something they really like". "Thank you, sir, madam, thank you very much, have a pleasant flight home, its been a pleasure to serve you both". he closed the door behind him and was gone. I headed for the balcony with the small envelope, taking a drink from my glass I read the contents. Inside was a letter from the manager, I called to Anna and with her sat beside me I read the letter out to her. Dear Mr and Mrs Palmer, I say that in the hope that all your dreams come true. We hope you had a pleasant stay with us, and the minor set back last week didn't upset your enjoyment too much, I hope my team were able to make the situation as easy as possible. I would also like to thank you both for what you said about the hotel and staff to the British press and also to the Maltese press and media. It is thanks to you both, that I can say, we are fully booked for the rest of this year and next year. So on behalf of myself and my staff, we would like to give you a little thank you gift. I turned the page and in front of me was a booking form, it said. Mr and Mrs Palmer are requested to join the management and staff and guests for a weeks holiday from the 23 December to the 29th December, free and gratis, with the option of spending the new year on a bed and breakfast basis as a second week.

"Well love". I said. "How do you feel about Malta for Christmas and the new year". "I would love it". Anna said. "But only if I can come back as Mrs Palmer". "You leave that to me, I promise you, you will be Mrs Palmer by the summer". I handed Anna the form and showed her where to sign as Mrs Palmer, I then signed above her name and placed the form on the dressing table saying. "I will take that to the reception desk in the morning when I pay the final bill.

It was way past midnight when we finally climbed in under the sheet and blanket, we kissed good night and as with every night Anna turned onto her side her bottom touching my groin and my fingers on her left breast, we both closed our eyes and fell asleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Canoe, A Love Story