The stage was set, ready for the first act, the class were in the changing room getting into there costumes. Dave was being given a white beard to make him look older, and Mike had a wig, that came down to his shoulders, and once in the silk shirt and baggy trousers, he looked quite the part. Even the hairpiece on his chest looked authentic. As the class stood at the side of the stage, ready to start the play, the curtain went up and it was all go. Mike was not due on stage until well into act one, so he stayed at the side and watched the opening scene. It was going very well, as Mike stood there, he heard whispers and wows coming from those of the class not on stage. Mike looked back towards the backstage area, coming towards him was May, she was dressed in trousers that were almost see through, held at the ankles by two straps, a belt around the waist and tassels that hung from the front of the belt and discreetly covered the top of her thighs. In her belly button, she wore a large green emerald, held in place by... only she knew that. She also wore a bolero jacket that barely covered her bust and across her face a vail that slightly covered her face. Mike stood there with his mouth open as she walked up to him, she smiled, put out her hand and gently closed his mouth. "Will I do?" She asked, "for the part of the daughter," Mike looked her up and down. "Will you do?" he said, "will you do, he put his hand out and his fingers stroked her face. "You look great," he whispered, "and thank you."  "Well," she said, "we couldn't let the school down, could we.

The play was going well, everyone remembered their lines, the fight scene was fantastic, and when poor Chris was left to die in the desert the school erupted into boos, but it was all part of the play. The first time that May came on stage there were a few wolf whistles from the back of the hall, and the headmaster gave her a weird look, he being at the front with all the other teachers. But May said her lines without being prompted, she was almost a pro, and when Chris had to drag her to his hideout, she fought and screamed like the best of them, in fact, it took all Chris's strength to pick her up and carry her off, but at 5 foot 8 inches tall and May being only 5 foot 4 inches, he made it look easy. The play continued, they were now into the final act, Mike and May were offset ready for there big entrance. May came over to him. "Michael, the kiss scene? can you do it?" Mike looked at her, "What do you mean, can I do it". Her eyes went soft and her lips curled up at each corner. "Michael," she whispered, "you have held me in your arms, you have felt my bust, surely you are man enough to kiss me." Mike nodded his head. "Let's do it."

They were given their cue to walk on stage. "Ah, you are here," said the sheikh, May ran to him and put her arms around his neck. "father it is good to see you again, it is good to be back." Then it was Dave's turn. "My daughter," he said. "It is good to have you back, but I am saddened, I have promised your hand in marriage to this man, this man who bought you back to us." May looks at Dave and then at Mike. "Also my daughter," says Dave. "I have promised him a third of all the treasure in my kingdom."

Then it was Mike's turn to speak, he turns to Dave who still has his arm around May's waist. Mike bowed."Master," he says, "if your daughter will give her herself willingly, and can love me freely, I am willing to accept only half of the treasure you offer me." Mike looks at May who walks towards him, he puts out his hand and she takes it, then turning to Dave she says. "my father, the road back to you was long and hard, during the days and nights, this man watched over me, and I must tell you, that I do love him, and want him as my husband." As she finished the last word, she steps forward into Mike's arms and there lips touch, then harder. May and Mike are really kissing, they both hear the wolf whistles again and as they separate and Mike guides her to his tent, the curtains close. They could hear the clapping and cheering, the whole class line up behind the curtain, it opens and closes three times, the whole school was standing up clapping. As May said, a standing ovation, never seen in the years she had been there. After the third curtain call, the headmaster came on stage and addressed the audience, and the class, saying, that although the play was an amateur production, and the first time seen by anyone,  it was proof that anyone, be they 15 or 50 could write for the enjoyment of others.

In the changing room, Dave was full of it. "Bloody hell mate," he said," I thought you would freeze again." Mike looked at him and smiled. "She wouldn't let me," Mike said. " She told me just before we went on for the last scene, that I had to be a man, and finish the play as I had written it." "Well mate," Dave said," you sure did that.

The class made its way back to the classroom when May came in she said, "well done class, I'm very proud of you." She looked at Mike and smiled, "All of you."

On the Monday morning, all the talk in the classroom was the play. Denise had returned after her so called illness and Heather was telling her what had taken place, Denise looked back at Mike and smiled, then whispered, sorry, I don't kiss boys. Mike shrugged his shoulders in a jester of don't worry about it. As the weeks past, both Dave and Mike noticed that May was becoming more and more distant, also they noticed that the clothes she wore were not as sexy. Then just before the Christmas holidays, some three weeks before, Dave said to Mike, "have you noticed May lately?" "Yes." Mike said, "Her face is really shiny, and when you stand by her desk, her hair shines like silk." "No," said Dave, " her gut, she's about ten pounds heavier than a month ago, too much fried food I reckon." As she stood at the blackboard, Mike was watching her. " Your right," he whispered to dave, "Too much fried food."

The last week of the term, May came down to Mike's desk and spoke to him. "Michael, I have at home, all your plays, I kept them, and would like with your permission to take them back to England with me." Mike looked at her, "all my plays," he said. "What about the..." "Yes," May said, " even the Shiekh, that's my favourite,"  she leaned forward and whispered in his ear. "I read that when I am alone in my bed." She returned to the front of the class. "Pay attention please," she said, "I have some news for you all. I won't be back after Christmas, I am returning to England, my husband's ship is going back to Portsmouth, and I am going back as well." The class sat there with there mouths open. Mike felt the tears well up in his eyes, his only love gone. Then came the real bombshell. May was looking at Dave and Mike. "By the way you two smart alecs," she said, "It's true, I have put on a few pounds, and I hope to put on a lot more in the next few months, you see class, I am going to have a baby when I get home, sometime in the summer." 

On the last day of school, the class did very little work, cards were exchanged and some of the girls gave each other presents, but most of the day was spent reading books and magazines, it was a long day and by the end, the class was glad to get home. As Mike was waiting to board his bus, he heard his name being called, he turned to see may waving at him, his bus was the last to leave, and he asked the driver to hang on for him. Going over to where May was by the side of the classroom, he asked her what was wrong. "Nothing," she said, I just want56ed to say goodbye privately. Looking at him, she placed her hands on his shoulders, then pulling him closer, she kissed his cheek. "I'm going to miss you more than any of the class," she said. "I hope, when you meet the right woman, you will treat her with love and affection, in your writings, you have always put the woman first, and everything that you have allowed me to read, you have shown the man as strong but gentle, hard but tender, and firm but fair. If you can follow those rules in your own life, then when you find the right girl and marry, you will have found true happiness."

Comments

Martin P said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Martin P said…
To continue to next chapter click on The Old Sea Dog at top of page, then scroll to the bottom and click on More Posts, repeat until you reach October 29

Popular posts from this blog

The Canoe, A Love Story