Sorry for the delay in writing, but today has been kind of special. The wife and had to go to our local surgery to have our coronavirus injection. The wife was a little worried, she was having seconded thought, she did think that her varicose veins might react to the injection, but I put her mind at rest, and we made our way into town by taxi. We did have a half hour wait in the cold, but we both made sure we had our long johns on so, to be honest, it wasn't too bad. In the room used for the injection, we had to answer a few questions, then I pushed the wife forward to have her jab, I felt that by her having hers first, she couldn't back out. However when I saw the needle going in, I must admit I felt a little weary myself, but then considering the amount of needles I have had to endure over the years, this was nothing. I remember when I joined the Royal Navy, we had to have loads of injections, but in those days the needle was a lot bigger than what you get today, and what we had to do was line up, then the doctor doing the jab would inject the first dozen, then change the needle, yes it was sterilised between each man, but it was the same needle, I tended to be one of the next dozen, so got the needle either 1,2 or three and if someone fainted in front of me, then they would get the blunt needle, well they were out for the count, so why put a new needle in the syringe, when it would not be felt.

So, we had the jab, picked up our cards and headed into Tescos to pick up a few bits and pieces before ringing for a taxi to take us home. and by 12-30, we were sat at home having our lunch and a nice cup of well needed coffee. I think I have said that since we retired, I tend to do the cooking and leave Maureen to do the hoovering and dusting, she also likes to do the washing up after each meal, unless Man U is playing on the T.V. then I do the washing up for her, I tend not to enjoy football that much, in fact, I tend to let all sports go over my head, my favourite past time is putting words on paper, doing jigsaw puzzles on my tablet, and playing solitaire. I love cooking, and if I say so myself do a mean Sunday roast, but Maureen tends to love my stews, which, I tend to do a lot of, that way we have enough for Monday as well, then whatever is leftover I turn into a soup for the Tuesday, so we have three meals out of one, then for the rest of the week it's whatever we have in the cupboard or freezer, we do have a thing called bread and pull it on Saturday, the more you pull, the more you can put into the sandwich. So as I say, I do the cooking and I make sure that we both have all we want on our plates. As we are both in our 76th year we tend not to eat large meals, in fact, Maureen will eat very small portions, with the stew, she will only have a couple of my serving spoons on her plate, but like I say, she does enjoy it, and that is all that counts for me. When she was ill December 2019, she worried me sick, only eating half a wheat a bix, well asking for half a wheat a bix and eating one small bit of it, so for 10 days, I gave her everything she wanted food wise, from chicken soup to a plate of fried mushrooms, twice she really scared me, once when I came into the flat, she was in bed, sat upright and asked me who the hell I was, when I told her I was her husband, she lay back on her pillow and went back to sleep, she still doesn't remember doing it. The second time, she was in bed asleep, I was sat on the sofa with my feet up watching a film, it was 4-30 in the afternoon and Maureen came to the lounge door and said.|" Michael, what are you doing watching movies at 4 in the morning, come back to bed". I told her that it was 4 pm, she just turned round and headed back to bed without saying a word. Again she never remembered anything about it. Yes, we laugh about it now, but at the time I was worried, I didn't call the doctor, I felt that like with colds and flu, after 14 days most people get over whatever they have, and life gets back to normal. And Maureen was no exception, I kept her on small meals until the 14th day, but then she was saying how hungry she was, I asked her what she wanted and she said. "Make one of your stews, I really fancy one of those". so I did and although I only gave her a small portion, she ate what was on her plate, and some, she was back to normal and I had my wife back.

Now today, as I said we have had the jab and must stay indoors for the next three weeks, but as we have been in lockdown for the past 12 months, I don't think an extra three weeks will make any difference to us, we don't have our own transport, we have to rely on taxi's to get into town, the local bus service is almost non existent and as the local bus company don't really care about passengers, they are more than happy to ignore the people. Even the county council are not interested in busses or public transport in any form, they are more than happy to let people use there own cars and for the bus company to bring in the oldest busses they can lay there hands on to clog our towns and villages with all the pollution they can get away with.

I have lived in the South West for 35 years, and I have watched our main town go downhill year on year, we are now a town of hairdressers, cafe's, charity shops and supermarkets. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see these so called outlets, I use Age U.K. all the time because I am old, but it getting harder to buy a shirt unless you're happy to pay top dollar, or a new jacket and trousers, unless you are happy to buy it on the internet, which I am not, I have, over the lockdown bought a few things that we needed, I was very happy with Argos and AO, but Currys I was disgusted with, their drivers are so lazy they delivered my goods to the wrong address on three occasions and when I tried to contact them, they didn't want to know, oh yes, very happy to take the money, but what if the person had decided to keep the goods for themselves. Luckily the person who the goods were delivered to are friends so the son bought then to us. but I was not happy and said so when I did the survey they sent out to me. We won't be using Currys again for online shopping, they cannot be trusted. 

Anyway, that's it for tonight, I should be back to mornings as of tomorrow, speak to you all then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Canoe, A Love Story